Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Reservation

After all the happenings in the different parts of the country thought I will add my two bits to the raging debate. Reservations.. Read a couple of articles for and a couple against.. Well just to make things clear I don't like the concept of reservations in Work as well as Higher education.

Well subsidizing the fees. Free Primary Education and may be Free Education till graduation is fine with me but reserving seats just so that the so called backward people can get the advantage .. sorry negate the social disadvantage seems like a mistake to correct an earlier one. There are 2 main problems with the whole idea.

1) The classification of the backward
2) The implementation of the whole idea

Classification: Lets look at the people whom we call the backward population. Are they really so. I think more than half are the landed gentry who have good social standing, have enough money to send their kids to good private schools. Do they really have the need for this reservation. Now if they are poor they may need that boost to compete, to decrease the gap between the rich and the poor. But segregating by caste alone is certainly wrong.

A comment made by someone really amused me. One of my close acquaintances was talking about getting their caste added to the list of the backwards. The logic being obvious. But then if you look at it the CASTE he was talking about is mainly into business and on an average fairly rich. So why are we giving this incentive to people to call themselves backward. Civilization (evolution) is the process of going ahead, to improve, to change.. now we are seeing this reverse trend where people don't want to potray themselves as developed but the opposite. Is it really good for the society as a whole ?

Implementation: In this country of a billion people where your age is what is mentioned in the file of a babu in some office and not necessarily dependent on your date of birth how we are going to decide who should get this benefit and how much. How are we planning to do this. Believe that the Government which just for a handful of votes will proclaim a Criminal to be God to use this scheme for betterment of people. Who decides on what basis what type of reservation should be given and when?

Many such questions have been asked but we still don't have any answers. The people who actually are implementing the scheme, promoting it all over the country don't have a clue. I am really sorry. I am a part of the system, never did anything to change it so now I should own up my mistake too.

When I didn't stop a bunch of fools.. monkeys to ahead and try govern me, I am not allowed to crib.

Change, the one word that is the true constant. So hope this too will change. Wishful thinking :)

No comments: